PLEASE NOTE: The descriptors of these bags have changed — "small" is still "small." The middle size once known as "large" is now "medium" and the biggest size, formerly known as XL, is now "large."
— Mary Jane Mucklestone, author/teacher
"I love my Bento Bags and I think you might, too.""
— Susan B. Anderson, author/teacher
The first photo I ever saw of these gorgeous Ambatalia bento bags — cleverly designed for carrying produce — was of apples spilling out of the natural linen one (the only fabric available at that time), and my mind's eye instantly replaced the apples with yarn balls. I ordered a pair on the spot and they've been in constant rotation as knitting project bags ever since. But they're also great as lunch bags, for organizing smaller items in your suitcase, lining your bread basket, or even as a reusable gift bag. The uses are pretty much endless. And I love them for how spare they are — so functional, but just as natural, unfussy and unobtrusive as you can get. You're going to want several.
Tied closed, they stuff easily into any other bag. Opened wide, they sit squarely on their flat bottoms. Folded flat, they take up so little space you can't imagine they'd hold much at all. But as you can see in the photos, they're quite accommodating. The small is ideal for socks, hats and the like. The medium size (once known as large) is ideal for a big scarf or shawl, with multiple skeins of yarn. (Or for corralling all the parts for that sewing project in progress.) And the large (formerly known as extra-large) can handle an entire worsted-weight sweater with all its yarn and parts.
- made in California
- designed to make maximum use of yardage
- small bag is 10 x 3 inches, 9.5 inches tall at highest point
- medium bag is 10.5 x 5 x 10 (formerly known as "large")
- large bag is 13.25 x 7 x 16 (formerly known as "large")
- available in tan ticking, slate ticking, red ticking, dark chambray blue and natural linen
- red tack stitch detail (on all but red ticking bag)
- chambray and ticking fabric is 55% hemp, 45% organic cotton
- natural is 100% unbleached linen
- wash in cold water; line dry
(Contents pictured are not included.)