When our friends at Joshu+Vela unveiled their new backpack recently, we all wanted it badly enough that we thought you would, too — so they made a small batch for us! Sewn in their San Francisco studio with the utmost attention to quality and detail, including heavy-duty YKK brass zippers throughout, this thing is a beauty. Wraparound tote handles and wide webbing-plus-leather straps mean you can carry it as a tote or wear it as a backpack. The full interior rear-wall pocket accommodates an average-sized laptop (e.g. a Macbook), while two smaller interior pockets hold your phone and keys, plus there's a secure, sideways, exterior rear-wall pocket.
I've been carrying the black one pictured (on the rope chair) for the last couple of weeks — packed with my Bookhou clutch-wallet, ever-present thin wool scarf, Macbook Pro laptop, phone, odds and ends, with my Field Bag stuffed in on top! — and no longer look or feel like I've got the whole world in my bag, even though I do! It's one of the best bags I've ever owned. (And I've owned a lot.)
- made in San Francisco, USA
- 100% cotton canvas and webbing, with leather detailing
- brass YKK zippers in black twill tape
- approximately 12.5" x 14" x 4.5"
- backpack straps adjust from 21" to 27"
- tote handle drop is about 3.5"
- choose natural with veg-tan leather or black with black leather
- spot clean as needed